Living In The Now

From AA’s Daily Reflections for June 9th:

First, we try living in the now just in order to stay sober — and it works. Once the idea has become a part of our thinking, we find that living life in 24-hour segments is an effective and satisfying way to handle many other matters as well.  Living Sober, p. 7

"One Day At A Time." To a newcomer this and other one-liners of A.A. may seem ridiculous. The passwords of the A.A. Fellowship can become lifelinesin moments of stress. Each day can be like a rose unfurling according to the plan of a Power greater than myself. My program should be planted in the right location, just as it will need to be groomed, nourished, and protected from disease. My planting will require patience, and my realizing that some flowers will be more perfect than others. Each stage of the petals' unfolding can bring wonder and delight if I do not interfere or let my expectations override my acceptance — and this brings serenity. 

When I came to recovery there was no place in time for me to live.  My past sucked, I did not know how to live in the present and the future was getting darker with every passing day.  Now my past is not hideously painful and terminally unique.  The future will take care of itself.  The present is a gift from god for me to live in one day at a time.


I am grateful to be living in the present moment most of the time in my life now.

1 comment:

  1. Good Morning or Afternoon or Evening when you read this e-mail! One can only live in the NOW, not the PAST or the FUTURE whatever that will be..I read your blog early and admire you fierce fighting to stay sober..I congratulate you on your sobriety, I pray for my families to be clean and sober but they do not heed any words I might have..I live with a wonderful husband of over 40 years who will not imbibe one ounce of alcohol or any drugs because of what it does and did to his dad, brothers, sisters, relatives, he has a strong constitution and faith, it just burns in him and it makes me glad each day we are together..I feel your blog does such a great job of explaining what and how and who it is to be affected by drugs, you never candy coat it at all and you have suffered and I think many learn from your blog..Have a peaceful, joyful and wonderful week, this part of Washington is to have rain by this weekend the sun could not keep out forever, ciao! God's Blessings in your journey to keep clean and sober & I pray for you daily toooooo!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete