Learning To Solder Jewelry

I really enjoyed my 2-day jewelry soldering class this weekend and am glad I took it.  My farm-style soldering would never have worked to get any kind of artistic attractive results.  I made a silver ring with a green stone, a three layer sandwich pendant of copper-silver-copper  and half-finished a silver pendant with a large flat blue stone.  The results were stunningly attractive for something I made and sorta nice on a relative scale.

I bought a most of a starter kit of jewelry-smithing tools and supplies after class yesterday.  I bought what I could off my shopping list at Bird Tail Beads to support a local store, then switched comparison shopping between RioGrande.com and Amazon.  By the end of the week, I will be able to make many more shiny pieces of metal out of rocks, copper and silver.

I am grateful for what I learned in class, how much I enjoyed it and for the “flow” (losing myself in the task at hand by being deeply engaged).  It seems to be the kind of enjoyable and satisfying hobby that I always wanted to have.  I am blessed.


PS:  A shout out to for Neal Stephenson’s Reamde.  It is funny entertaining read on gaming, computer security and international intrigue based in the NW.  

No comments:

Post a Comment