I Need A Hobby

All my life, I have had a fear of trying new things—especially artistic or crafty things.  I want to participate, but can’t get off the sidelines into the game.  I don’t have any burning message I need to share with others.  I do know that I need to find an outlet for creativity that engages me so that I get into a state of flow and engagement.

I love to read.  That is my favorite pastime.  There is no creativity in reading.  It is a somewhat mindless way to pass the hours.

I will do five creative things this summer.  That will likely include photography, painting, drawing, wire-bending/jewelry and TBD.  I don’t need to be skillful.  I do need to stretch my comfort zone and participate in life.

I am sad that I was taught to perceive myself so lacking in talent that it is not even worth my time to try to be creative.  That was a whole bunch of child abuse to last this long.  I will have self-compassion for myself and my family.  We did not know any better.


I am grateful for the rwillingness to try to find enjoyable creative outlets.

No comments:

Post a Comment