Another Trip To Echo Glen

Lea and I went to Echo Glen again tonight.  That might be the first time in a decade that I went two weeks in a row.  I don’t know.  Maybe Leslee and I went out there repeatedly seven years ago.  It was nice to be out there twice in a row. 

One of the girls asked Lea to share before the meeting started saying “I want to hear your story”.  Lea talked about using from the age of 7 after her mother was diagnosed with terminal cancer.  Sharing during the meeting with the kids was the happiest I have ever seen Lea look.  It was like watching a beautiful flower bloom in real-time.

I am grateful that Washington DSHS is progressive enough to offer incarcerated youth a 3 month recovery program in a gorgeous setting.  Echo Glen is a far better place than, say, Green Hills in Centralia where one of the adult volunteers talked about spending time as a child.


No comments:

Post a Comment