A Great Morning Meditation

Lea left an hour early this morning walking to the clinic and the meeting this morning.  She read our usual morning meditation reading and then was on her way.  I had a wonderfully pleasant period of meditation enjoying a nice sense of bliss that my day was off to a good start and looking forward to the day ahead.

Our meeting went well.  Danica’s baby is due today.  We gave her a little monkey pendant to let her know how happy we are for her.  We also gave the meeting secretary, E, a fancy coin for his 6 years sober although that will not happen for two more days on Sunday.  It felt good to help others celebrate their success.

After that,  I went to my doctor and then lunch with Dan.   I have a problem with blood clots and so need to be tested for clotting time every month.  The range is supposed to be between 2 – 2.5.   Today it was a 2.2.  Practically perfect.

Lunch with Dan was a bit troubling.   We started lunch once a month 16 years ago.  Most times we met regularly.  Sometimes he fell out due to problems with not taking his schizophrenia medication.  He missed meeting with me the last two months.  He was having problems with his PC and asked me to help him with it.  I have seven years experience providing tech support in a call center.  I can’t help Dan over the phone with his PC problems.  I spent an hour removing and deleting crapware that had slowed his PC to a crawl. 

We went to lunch at Ivar’s on Aurora.  Dan ordered far more than he could eat.  When I called him on it, he assured me that he would eat it all.  When he was trying pocket his side order of shrimp I called him on that.  Dan does not have the social skills to be sly.  I don’t mind spending a few extra dollars on food.  My problem is that I am striving to be his friend and not his foodbank.  It changes our relationship when he is trying to work me instead of simply enjoying our time together.  Last year, I gave him a pound of tobacco for his birthday.  This year when he blew me off, he got “happy birthday” on his Facebook page.

I am troubled by his admission that he is smoking pot.  His mental health is fragile enough without weed.  Buying him extra food feels like subsidizing his pot use.  Granted, you can’t get much pot for the price of a side order of shrimp and a couple extra pieces of fish at Ivar’s.  My big problem is it feels like spending time with an addict in active addiction seeking what they can get instead of being present in the relationship.  That is an undesirable way to spend my time in relationship with others.   This will have to change.  There, I just took a blogging timeout to send him an email addressing my concerns.  Now I feel better.


I am grateful for a blissful morning meditation, a great meeting, a wonderful doctor and a warm sunny June day in Seattle.

No comments:

Post a Comment