True Love

The spiritual growth we enjoy in AA is a product of the never-ending school for living which our fellowship provides.  The subject in that school that opened my eyes most quickly and filled my heart most fully was love.  I never knew true love until I began my recovery in AA.  My schooling in that emotion began early and led me to the conclusion that love is what creates in a sober AA member the outer show of an inner glow.
- The Best Of The Grapevine [Vol. 3], p. 294

My schooling in learning about love took years for me to recognize how important it is to me and for all of us.  It was only by my recent readings in positive psychology that I was gifted with the insight that love is the most important thing I can change in my world.

Today I went to see my childhood friend Bob at the UW Medical Center.  He has 11 brain tumors that have been reduced to a lesser number via chemo and a gamma-knife radiation treatment.  Yesterday he woke up paralyzed in all but his right arm but still had sensation in all limbs.  Today he was able to stand with balance support by physical therapists. The problem is due to swelling around one (or more) of the brain tumors.  Hopefully the swelling will go away soon and he will make a nearly full recovery.  The tumors might take as long as 6 months to die from the gamma-knife treatment or he might get one more treatment.  Apparently one of the tumors is close to the brain stem.

It was extremely ironic seeing him in bed mostly paralyzed at the UWMC.  33 years ago, Bob was a frequent visitor when I was paralyzed from the waist down at Harborview.  I was a very cheerful visitor today.  I brought him 3 bunches of flowers and a vase making a beautiful  bouquet with fragrant lilies.

I am grateful for the love in my life today.  It is wonderful to be able to give and get love from the people in my life today.





No comments:

Post a Comment