I Love College Football

College football is my favorite team sport.   I love the optimism of youth seeking to win the big game, the pageantry of cheerleaders and huge bands, the excitement of the crowd and the thrilling endings.  For the first time in the history of the AP poll, 5 of the top 8 teams were upset this week.

I usually watch the bowl games at the New Year.  This Fall I have watched games for several Saturdays.  Watching works best for me with multiple games on so I can switch between channels during commercials.  Otherwise I don’t watch broadcast TV and don’t have cable.

It would be great if my local team, the UW Huskies won more often.  I vastly prefer a great game/finish over having “my” team win.  My alma mater, UC Santa Barbara, has not had a varsity football team since 1972 due to “budget cuts” when Ronald Reagan was the California Governor.  (It is believed that Reagan took away UCSB football after the Bank of America/National Guard debacle.)


I am grateful for the excitement of college football with its pageantry, excited fans, thrilling athletic plays and surprising results.   It is a great way to spend the occasional Autumn afternoon.  There will be a playoff this year for the first time ever.  That should be glorious!

No comments:

Post a Comment