A Power Greater Than Ourselves

AA’s second step is “Came to believe that a power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.”  That is ambiguously open-ended.  For many when they first get to 12-step recovery, that means the power of the group.  Then it becomes some sort of spiritual thing.  For others, it is the Christ or Holy Father or some other religious deity.

At this evening’s meeting, we read step 2 out of the 12x12.  The most important power in my life today is love.  I have heard the phrase “god is love” since childhood.  Thanks to the miracle of Google, I now know that is from John 1:48 “He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.” (KJV). 

Love used to hurt.  Certainly the most painful experiences in my life were done by those that supposedly loved me.  They did love me—in their own brutal horribly dysfunctional way.  Today love is a wonderful experience shared with others in my life.

I am grateful for the love in my life today.


No comments:

Post a Comment