I Voted Today

Received my ballot by mail today and then filled it out this afternoon so I could leave it at the no postage required dropbox at Crossroads Mall.  Election day is not for another two weeks.
  
The biggest question I have is who is funding the NRA and their pro-gun high level of crazy money spending lobbying?  I know the US spends more on weapons than the next 10 countries combined.  Even our military-industrial complex knows that we should not arm all countries to the teeth.  There is an initiative to have more background checks on gun sales.  The pro-gun crowd came up with a parallel initiative to obfuscate the issue.

They make guns in Connecticut.  Why is it such an issue if we try to avoid a Texas level of clock tower crazy in Washington State much less elevating to a Virginia Tech level homicidal?

Someday we might get to vote using an online process.  It would make for fast and easy tabulation of votes.  There are way too many security pitfalls such as proprietary unreviewed software for me to want to rush into that.  Paper ballots leave a wonderful trail in a time-tested process that has been successfully used for millennia.

My biggest voting wish is to have a choice besides more than the binary two-party system of Democrats and Republicans.  Neither party comes close to genuinely representing my views on nearly all topics.  Their lip service sounds great.  Unfortunately Boeing got the biggest tax break in US history while commute times increased and the State Supreme Court held the State Legislature in contempt for failing to fund education per the State Constitution.  Who decided crappy education for Washington was the way to save money for Boeing now headquartered in Chicago?

In theory, this is a gratitude blog.  Some posts have a lot more rant than others in them.  It is good to be able to rant in public.  A large fraction of the world’s population is not able to safely rant about their crappy politicians.


I am grateful I got to vote early without having to produce picture ID and wait in line.

2 comments:

  1. I sent my ballot in immediately, too busy to drop it off on election day..I think the big NRA coalition funds all the gun crap on the ballots, the governor of Oregon running again, has a gal pal who made some bad decisions when she was 30 years of age, married a man on paper for $5,000 and going into a house sale which they grew marijuana, the governor says he knew nothing about any of this really???? He has lived with this gal pal who is called the first lady, they are not married legally for many years, really the governor Kitzhauber is 67 years old, the politicians running now are just plain dirty and dumb..The other candidate in Oregon is such a racist and bigot he acts like a total yahoo tool of a human being, no one to lead that state at all..Over here in Washington there are plenty of yahoos too, in our tiny town 3 of the county commissioners all voted for this fellow without following any guide lines they got this yahoo from California for a big postion now they think they can shove their opinions down the citizens throat, it ain't gonna happen, to me to be involved in politics is a dirty business...Glad I voted though I live in a semi-rural area where guns are plentiful and citizens are at risk from some yahoo in the hunting season coming up..Kudos to you for voting and for keeping sober and safe and happy, I read your blog daily and pray for my hubs family and my family to get recovery and to stay that way, it is a prayer they are mostly addicted to alcohol and drugs they don't care about their lives and it impacts their kids a lot, who choose to live clean and successful lives with happy mates in spite of their parents being batcrapcrazy with the addictions, we don't touch anything at all, sparking cider is our choice of a beverage on our 40th wedding anniversary, today my hubs turns 67 and we will have some more sparking cider and some good food I will lovingly prepare..life is wonderful without any alcohol and drugs in one's system at all, thank you for keeping this blog and for keeping sober and an example of how to live one's life happily sober and calmly & with friends to have to love and care about, you give hope to many!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant to say SPARKLING CIDER, not SPARKING CIDER, guess I was thinking of the guns and casings and everything after reading your blog..We don't hunt or use anykind of firearm..sometimes I get so dadblasted angry with the people in our city govt. I would like to shoot off a couple of rounds, but I do have my brains and wit about me and just mumble..I enjoy your blog, you do know you live in a community of working people who pay taxes up the wazhoo therefore you have lots of money in taxes and revenue from business and etc..One of the richest in all of the state of Washington, it is not the case here, I see homelessness, people living in their cars, hunger like you could not believe, no jobs and winter descending, they run from Portland Oregon thinking they will find something well they don't you don't get EBT cards here unless you work not like God-forsaken Oregon at all, many are just plain up the creek here being a border town, our taxes pay for a lot here & most everyone pays for it unless you go to Oregon and pay gasoline and time for the journey and rob the fire, police, emergency responders and teachers of their jobs, it is something else. You do live in a community with money and it shows in the many services you get that we will never get here..but nonetheless you are sane, sober and your blog helps many to stay sober and clean and for that I applaud you..have a nice holiday season!

    ReplyDelete