A Spiritual Axiom

It is a spiritual axiom that every time we are disturbed, no matter what the cause, there is something wrong with us. 12x12 pg 90

I never truly understood the Tenth Step's spiritual axiom until I had the following experience. I was sitting in my bedroom, reading into the wee hours, when suddenly I heard my dogs barking in the back yard. My neighbors frown on this kind of disturbance so, with mixed feelings of anger and shame, as well as fear of my neighbors' disapproval, I immediately called in my dogs. Several weeks later the exact situation repeated itself but this time, because I was feeling more at peace with myself, I was able to accept the situation—dogs will bark—and I calmly called in the dogs. Both incidents taught me that when a person experiences nearly identical events and reacts two different ways, then it is not the event which is of prime importance, but the person's spiritual condition. Feelings come from inside,not from outward circumstances. When my spiritual condition is positive, I react positively. 
  Daily Reflections for October 9th

I am much better checking myself when I am bothered by external events than how it used to be.  Now I usually pause when agitated to reflect on what is truly bothering me.  Inevitably it not the just happened actual event/action that is bothering me, but my interpretation and emotional response that is my problem.

While drunk last week, Michelle was beaten to within an inch of her life.   She is still bruised, sore and not able to use her right arm.  This morning she decided that it was more important to make phone calls than go to a meeting.  I reviewed our first tradition, “Our common welfare should come first; personal recovery depends upon A.A. unity."  Explaining that going to meetings with others is vastly more important to those of us that have struggled to stay sober than it is sitting home alone making phone calls.  She had clearly made her choice and I left for our morning meeting feeling sad.

In the AA big book, one of the first examples of alcoholic behavior is of the jaywalker.
"Our behavior is as absurd and incomprehensible with respect to the first drink as that of an individual with a passion, say, for jay-walking. He gets a thrill out of skipping in front of fast-moving vehicles. He enjoys himself for a few years in spite of friendly warnings. Up to this point you would label him as a foolish chap having queer ideas of fun. Luck then deserts him and he is slightly injured several times in succession. You would expect him, if he were normal, to cut it out. Presently he is hit again and this time has a fractured skull. Within a week after leaving the hospital a fast-moving trolley car breaks his arm. He tells you he has decided to stop jay-walking for good, but in a few weeks he breaks both legs."

"On through the years this conduct continues, accompanied by his continual promises to be careful or to keep off the streets altogether. Finally, he can no longer work, his wife gets a divorce and he is held up to ridicule. He tries every known means to get the jaywalking idea out of his head. He shuts himself up in an asylum, hoping to mend his ways. But the day he comes out he races in front of a fire engine, which breaks his back. Such a man would be crazy, wouldn't he?"

"You may think our illustration is too ridiculous. But is it? We, who have been through the wringer, have to admit if we substituted alcoholism or any addiction for jay-walking, the illustration would fit exactly. However intelligent we may have been in other respects, where alcohol has been involved, we have been strangely insane. It's strong language but isn't it true?"


While I did not get done nearly as much as was hoped for today, I did go to a meeting, talk with others and stay physically, mentally and emotionally sober today.  I got to process being saddened Michelle’s decisions and recognize that it is not my problem.  My problem is how I will respond to her not going to meetings.  I will likely not say much beyond the fact that I will not and cannot work on her recovery harder than she is.  She will either do the work or go back out.

I am grateful that I am willing to do the work to stay sober today.

No comments:

Post a Comment