More Emotional Literacy


We were talking about anger at a meeting tonight.  In the past, all most of us could do was silent, rage, or passive-aggressive.  Thanks to the miracle of recovery, we can talk about anger without having to start yelling, crying or running away.  That is a lot of progress from how it used to be.

It was weird in early recovery.  I realized I know the dictionary definition of many types of feelings such as sorrow, joy, love and serenity, but I did not actually know the sensation of these feelings.  It was the emotional equivalent of being physically poked by something and not knowing whether it was sharp, dull, hot or cold.

My emotional literacy is vastly improved from how it used to be.  Now I usually know if a given feeling is a positive or negative emotion in real time.

I am grateful for much greater emotional literacy today and look forward to becoming more knowledgeable tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment