The Alano Club of the Eastside (ACES)

My friend T has done a wheelchair accessibility survey of all the AA meetings in District 34 which is Bellevue, Redmond and Mercer Island.  Of 137 meetings each week, 40% of them are held at the Alano Club.  The ramp to the bathroom is across 40 yards of gravel parking lot and then through a infrequently used small meeting room.  More of a hassle than it is worth for me to use.

T, Lea and I went to the ACES board meeting tonight.  T gave her report in her usual incredibly eloquent manner.  I made a couple of suggestions that would help make it better for me and then a blue-sky proposal to build a new ramp and deck on the SE side that would provide bathroom access without having to go through the small meeting room.

It would be nice to see these improvements done at ACES, but is not that big a deal to me compared with simply making sure that I stay sober.  Disagreements over money, property and prestige are a big trigger for me.  The big book states that resentments are the dubious luxury of normal men, but for alcoholics these things are poison.

I am grateful to have 40% of the local AA meetings within a mile of my home.  It certainly cuts down on travel time, gas bills and planning.


No comments:

Post a Comment