Left and Right Coast Storms

Boston is 300 miles south of Seattle and 2500 miles to the east on the (right) Atlantic coast.  Seattle is getting hit by two rainstorms on Saturday and then again on Sunday in the midst of 2+ weeks of gray Seattle mist.  Boston got a snowstorm yesterday and will have another one tomorrow with a strong chance of a two foot snow total.

While the rain and ceaseless gray can be tough to deal with leading to SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder or winter blues), it is a lot easier for me to get out and about in the rain than the snow.

25 years ago when I left Santa Barbara after finishing college, I hoped that global warming (now climate change) would make Seattle a slightly warmer place to live.  It is working out to something close to best case scenario.  It did not snow last year in Seattle.  This year, I stayed home for a couple of snow days which is a bit below my personal predicted average.

California in having the worst drought in recorded history causing already precarious water supplies to take a turn for the worse heading towards water wars.  So far it is a war of words, lawyers and bankrupting drought stricken farmers.   Soon it will expand to affecting food prices nationwide as 50% of the US winter vegetables come from California. 

It did not (at least, not functionally to me) rain my first year in Santa Barbara.  That was truly bizarre to me.  I have a strong bias against living in a place that does not get enough rain to replenish its water supply every year as in the case of Phoenix or Las Vegas.  As a Pisces, I like my water fresh, pure, cheap and plentiful.  The Cascade mountains do a wonderful job of making that happen for Western Washington.


I am grateful for rainstorms instead of snowstorms or droughts.

2 comments:

  1. I loved living in ventura in the 1970's on a beach, it was cheap and lovely, now ventura a home across the street where I rented in a duplex sold for about $450,000 it was built the year I was born 1948, I would never live in California again, lived in san diego, California for many years, my beloved aunt who is nearing a 100 still lives there, she owned lots of property as she aged she sold and made enough for many people to live the rest of their lives, she is alone and in good health..Poor California I was born there but could never ever live there, prisons are bigger than the amount of public school teacher teaching, they pay prison guards more (unionized) than the teachers get give me a break on that one..Home are still in my opinion way overpriced many will buy just to get it the home tear it down which is happening in seattle a lot, but I just read in the pi that homes are assessed at 2008 tax levels so the rich get richer..Seattle to me is a nice place to visit and shop in the burbs only but never to consider living there, where you live in uber upper class Bellevue if one can ever find a decent home in a decent price range it is the jewel of the area, but other places are not so nice to live in the largest city in all of Washington...Global warming is here and poor poor California is getting the crap kicked out of them, to think the fruitbasket of all of the USA is in a horrible horrible drought, no wonder president Obama visited with Gov. Brown to try to see what could be done, California is the bell weather state, as it goes so goes the rest of the USA! I chant and pray for good rain to fall in the birth state of mine California so I can say Eureka and know many farmers and their workers will have farms to be able to produce and just live..it is in a dire dire need of water! I read your blog daily and applaud your helping others and also yourself to stay sober and happy daily, it is not an easy accomplishment but you try and give much needed hope to others and for that I think you are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live in Arizona in the winter. Here there is a drought also but, I am embarrassed to say, I don't care. It is sunny every day. No SAD for me!

    ReplyDelete