Celebrating My Birthday With Friends

Next week is my birthday.  I will be 55.  It used to be that in true alcoholic fashion, I would be having a great birthday, realize I was having a “perfect” moment, want it to last forever and immediately be bummed out when realizing that the moment would not last. Years ago, I learned from Gigi to spread out my birthday celebration over weeks.  That works a lot better for me in that I get to have multiple pleasant moments and not get fall into the trap of the perfect moment followed by the slam of nothing lasts forever.

Lea made me fried chicken tonight for an early birthday dinner.  We had delicious fried chicken, yummy potato salad and watery mashed potatoes with the blandest gravy I have ever made.  It was a nice evening cooking and eating together.  Lea was feeling poorly, so she made the chicken while I made the potatoes and gravy.  We said grace and I enjoyed the meal.  She had a small piece of chicken.  It was not a perfect moment, but it was nice to have a home-cooked delicious fried chicken dinner. 

Lea made white chocolate chip cookies with pecans as a treat for the meeting this morning.  They were a hit judging by the way the way they were all gone after a small meeting.

On Sunday the 9th, we will get-together with friends from the Sunday night meeting to celebrate Charlie’s birthday and my birthday at the usual Nordstrom Café location.  I have known Charlie for 8 years and we have never celebrated his birthday. That will be nice. 

On the 10th, Sandy and will celebrate our birthdays at the Noppakao Thai restaurant in Kirkland.  We ate there many times last year, but have not been back for months.  Noppakao has the best tasting freshest veggies of any restaurant I know.

Sometimes I jest that “had I known I was going to live this long, I would have taken much better care of my body”.  It would be great if my body was in much better shape.  I am grateful for the stable health that I am blessed with.


I am grateful for the serenity and friendships that I have developed in the last half-dozen years.  These are the best friendships I have ever had in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment