Retail Therapy in a Functional Way

The term retail therapy is a tongue-in-cheek reference to using shopping as a way to make ourselves feel better in an excessive manner. 

Lea and I went to Bellevue Square Mall today to buy some Seahawks gear.  The Seahawks store was a tiny couple hundred square feet or slightly larger the a cell phone kiosk in a mall.  Needless to say the selection was not good.  We soon left empty-handed.

We ended up down the mall at JC Penney’s where they where having a huge 50-70% off sale.  According to the receipts, we got $600 worth of stuff for $200.  I don’t know that the sale was that, but it was extremely good.  Lea had both arms full of stuff when we left the store.

We came home, had lunch and took a nap.  After some reading and TV, we headed out the door to go swimming.  My new Asus touchscreen Ultrabook (skinny Intel Laptop) was sitting outside waiting for me to unpack and plug-in.   I went through the startup basics and am writing my Gratitude blog while waiting for the updates to download.

Retail therapy is fun when done in moderation or for needed items, getting new stuff just to get new stuff does not light my fire.  Lea gets into retail therapy more than I do.  I am sure a big part of that was not having a secure living situation and so not being able to have a full set of girly accoutrements.  Now she pretty much has a full set of clothes, makeup and costume jewelry. 

We had a nice time shopping getting a hoodie sweatshirt for me, a  really nice Samsonite leather laptop bag at the Mall thrift store for $10, a  new mattress pad for my bed along with a shirt, purple tennis shoes and underwear for Lea.


I am grateful to have the money (and economic security) to buy what I need to make my life better, to take my cloud computing class, and help Lea enjoy being dressed-up in color coordinated ensembles.  Now I will go play with my new Asus. 

1 comment:

  1. I never pay retail for anything, the thrift places here horrid, the target is great at 70% off and Kohl's sends me 10/10 purchase so I have tons of these neet organic slipper sox for my feet...I don't buy much but when I need something I think the good Lord knows I never get anything new for myself so all of sudden something appears, I have changed my overly generous ways to only include my hubs and my only child, I do spoil children where I cook, roast, bake and babysit at a food pantry from parents who must work 2 or 3 jobs to have a place to live and food for the little ones so they come in and eat and take some home too..I don't give anything to anyone who can work and make it..I feel for the alcoholics and drug addicts who are homeless, hungry and in the throes of their addiction, I do give food to those places that house them so they don't freeze and get jammed up. Thank you for your blog, it is a God-Send to all in recovery..I read it daily and are appreciative of your efforts, no I am not an alcoholic or drug addict but many in the family I was born into and my hubs family are and still use, they won't be around much longer with their ways I so wished that people would give generously to alcohol cessation and drug cessation and mental health places, it could really save many from an untimely demise, it so could..why can't people get that these addictions are real health issues and not blame shame and disgust, it can absolutely happen to anyone, it is a disease and it has many forms and affects the persons mental health they don't make good choices and are in the the throws of an absolute cunning killer, look at what happened to Philip Symour Hoffman he thought he could kick it - it kicked him out of this living world, RIP...mr. Hoffman..ciao!

    ReplyDelete