Snowed Out

We were going to the Live at Pine Lake speaker meeting tonight.  It was a snowing in a faint barely discernible way as we drove to Greg’s house in Issaquah.  Driving up the hill to his place, the snow had begun to stick on the grass and sidewalks.  At the stop sign by his house, there was snow on the road.  When Greg came out, we cancelled on going to the meeting at an even higher elevation on the Sammamish plateau. 

My car is rear-wheel drive and does not do well in the snow.  My wheelchair is even less functional with treadless tires designed to be used on a dry hard surface.  By the time we got home at 7, snow was starting to stick on the grass.

They weather forecast gave a 10% chance of snow.  I was a bit surprised to see that turn into snow on the ground.

After a four hour pause in my writing, there is 3 inches of snow on the sidewalks and more on the grass.   Skipping the meeting and coming home immediately was the correct decision.  I have no business driving around in snow if it can be avoided.  In my situation, it can almost always be avoided.

Back in the day, there was a time when I could not get home to my mobile home due to snow on the roads.  Sleeping the night in my truck while low on gas worked out okay back then, it is not an experience I would care to repeat now.

It was good that I went to a meeting this morning and bought a few groceries on the way home.  The snow should be gone by tomorrow afternoon.  It is pretty to see the yard turned into a winter wonderland of whiteness—especially when it will go away before it becomes a barrier to my getting out every day.


I am grateful to not have to drive in snow or even worse be stuck or wreck my car over an evening’s snowfall.  Traffic reports indicate hundreds of stuck cars and fender-benders out there.  It is better than good to not have that experience.  

No comments:

Post a Comment