Craigslist

I love Craigslist in concept and in practice.  I just listed my old Cougar for sale on CL for $950.  Looking through the list of old ads that I had posted, I could see where I had sold my previous Thunderbird 5.5 years ago.  That was nice since I could not remember when I had bought the Cougar.  Now I know.

Lea loved going to yard sales to shop for clothes and stuff for her room.  My 3G smart phone is too slow for much web surfing, but it worked well enough for surfing CL for garage sales in Bellevue on Saturday mornings.  For less than $100 and a little dumpster diving at the apartment complex, she was able to furnish her room with cute girly decorations.

Newspapers used to heavily subsidize their subscription costs with overpriced classified ads.  CL almost single-handedly wiped them out with free ads for most things and paid ads for jobs in selected regions (major cities in the US), NYC apartment rental ads, therapeutic services, and tickets by dealers.

Free CL ads enable greater re-use of items that might previously been thrown out such as the beginner’s beading kit I got for $10 this summer or been much more of a hassle to sell than taking a few pictures of my car and placing a short ad with color pics on CL.

I will miss the iGoogle RSS reader which is shutting down in ten days.  iGoogle has been my homepage since it was launched in 2005.


I am especially grateful for the websites and social change that Craigslist.org, Google.com, and wikipedia.org. While I use Outlook on my primary PC, it is convenient to be able to access Gmail and Hotmail emails from any web-enabled device.

No comments:

Post a Comment