A Chat With Bernadette

Met with Bernadette at Crossroads Mall today for lunch and a chat.   We last met back in May at which time we each agreed to get more exercise.  That was the start of my daily swimming routine.  Her exercise led to a discussion with her family doctor about her being unable to do much.   That led to her getting five heart bypass procedures and open heart surgery.  She is doing much better now.

Michelle had lunch with us. Lea came by later after a visit with Nancy at the Intergroup office.  Michelle, Bernadette and I had a discussion about our highest calling.  We all want to be able to help other people.   Michelle wants to work with low-bottom women alcoholics that have been homeless and are trying to find sobriety, recovery and get a life.  Bernadette became a certified life coach but has not done much with that in the two years since becoming certified.  She hopes to get back to it after her health stabilizes. 

Bernadette’s analysis/feedback of her perception of me is that I am good at providing consistent support to others while also giving them unvarnished kind loving input about what needs to be done to make progress on getting their lives together.  It sounded good to me.  Not sure how good I am at it, but no matter what it is well worth trying to be of service to others.  I certainly don’t have anything better to do with my life than help others.  At the very least, I will be a better person for my endeavors and might actually help other alcoholics get recovery.

I am grateful for my relationship with Bernadette.  She inspires me to have greater faith in my ability to help others.  She certainly inspired me to go from dangerously unfit and overweight last May to being far more physically fit and losing weight through swimming.


No comments:

Post a Comment