Chapter 7 Working With Others

Page 89 from the AA Big Book starts chapter 7 with “Practical experience shows that nothing will so much insure immunity from drinking as intensive work with other alcoholics. It works when other activities fail.”  

Worked with a live alcoholic last night.   Michelle’s pastor brought her back here.   She was in classic highly manipulative alcoholic form.  Lea was sleeping, I was surfing the web and Michelle was back and screaming my inventory at me.  Lea went in the other room.  Michelle made her cry and Lea relented allowing Michelle to spend the night.

My teen years were rough with a angry drunken screaming alcoholic mother and a stern father that had no idea how to deal with a crazy woman.  The difference between last night and teen years is that Michelle was being manipulative and mom was just angry screaming drunk.

We are not going to let Michelle stay here long term anymore.  She can stay for a couple of weeks if she goes to a long term rehab place such as SeaDruNar in SW Seattle.  Otherwise she can’t stay here.  She is simply too parasitic and disruptive.  There is a relatively nice women’s shelter here in Bellevue.  Or she can go back to living on the streets.

When we rescued Michelle five months ago, she agreed to two meetings a day, getting a sponsor and working the steps.  She ended up at four meetings last week, no sponsor and doing the steps on her own.  (There are many ways of characterizing self-guided step work, none positive.  One is working the steps as they are written on the wall and getting off the wall results!)

Lea and I had a great day yesterday.  Later last night, it took a turn for the worse.  But we were okay.

I went to the burn clinic only to find I was scheduled to meet with a Nurse Practitioner (NP) that had done the wound treatment change orders that resulted in my infection and return to the hospital.  I refused to see him and fortunately got to see the Attending Professor that is in charge of the burn ward.  It wasn’t so bad that the NP wrote a dysfunctional treatment change, that happens.  What sucked was that he did not listen to what I was saying about another issue or perhaps more nearly could not hear me and made poor medical choices based on his limited cookie cutter approach to issues beyond his scope of expertise.  I need health care professionals that can listen hear what I am saying and respond appropriately to what I am saying.


I am grateful to be sober today, a really nice day yesterday, that my wound is healing albeit slowly, for fantastic medical insurance and good health care.

1 comment:

  1. We went yesterday march 6, 2015 to Bellevue, went to Bellevue square boy has it changed and the downtown area..We went to the Cheesecake factory for a nice munch, no cheesecake but a nice dinner, fish tacos, for me and a shepherds pie for my hubs, 7 up and Numi tea, not too bad for the good food, bread fresh from the oven and the food was substantial! We walked all over the square, it is so different, I still miss Zuppa's a lot..Nothing like it in that square, the DECA groups from all over were at the Meydenbaurer for their competitions and landed at the Cheesecake Factory, parking they had Valet and free! It kind of reminded me of a center in Portland Oregon which is kind of near it in high end stores spread out over a landbase..Then when we drove home we went by this really chi chi place with Louis Vuiton, Jimmy Choo choo, Hermes and condos built into the sky, high end steak places..We noticed Ruth's Christ steak house at the bell square Portland doesn't have it anymore, gone and all other fancy places, we saw lots of workers walking and catching buses to go home late at night, they don't live in Bellevue, the amount people spend at that square was a hoot..we found it pretentious and snobby but not the Factory as we call it..the fellow who was serving us graduated from Western Washington University still trying to get a job he just graduated in December 2014 business degree, loves Bellingham but could not find a job he wanted to do...We think you live in paradise but we could not find a reasonable place to dine other than the cheesecake factory which we had to watch what we ordered & it was lunch time and the fellow took a percentage off for seniors wow whee, he gave us a cheesecake to go because he thought it my birthday I did not say one word as my b/d is end of May, we tipped well he got off work and he walked to the parking place easier than going thru the mall and chatted what a sweet guy he lives in Seattle with two other graduates! Only the rich live in Bellevue with huge incomes in those condos they bought in the downtown...but lots of service people commute to jobs there, I just pray they get the tip we gave that fine gentleman..Oh, the name of the center in Washington county in and near Portland is Bridgeport Village, for the uber snobs and all, we get New Balance shoes once a year for my hubs, the young man who runs the place went thru school with our only child from kindergarten and college and married her kindergarten bestie, we get his discount and we take him and her to lunch at a nearby fabulous buffet of fresh veggies and fruits and tiny amounts of protein that just opened from southern California for only $7.95 for us and $8.95 fort them and beverages are included once a month they have something sweet to munch on to boot..no tax in Oregon my hubs gets his much needed shoes and I get to catch up on this sweet couple..You live in a wonderful place..But I read your blog and don't let anyone touch your leg that jammed you up, no one I don't care if your insurance pays them or not, it is your body and your life..health is one's true good wealth, Keep up the good fight in sobriety, we were seated in the bar area, everyone was downing alcohol like drunken sailors I did not appreciate that at all and asked to be seated somewhere else it got crowed we stayed and they had to refuse service to a big fellow acting like he was drunk as a skunk. I hate alcohol and what it does to people it destroys their sense of propriety and everything else, of course that company makes great profits from alcohol but the nice NUMI tea was great for me and the 7UP for my hubs was great..take good care of yourself, heal up and get out there and help others to fight the good fight daily Peace to YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete