Nothing Special

Facing a bit of writer’s block, tonight’s post is on nothing special.  People, especially in America, grossly overestimate how much happiness a new X will bring them where X is a new: pair of shoes; car; bigger house; pay raise; or job.

Today I am reasonably happy for no special reason.  Went for a short swim tonight, have a good book to finish reading and got my heavy comforter back from the dry cleaners today.  It will be a good night to snuggle up in a warm bed and read.

I have a little mental agitation over a bizarre “argument” with Michelle.  She took a position that was demonstrably factually incorrect and then continued to argue for it as if talking louder and faster would change the facts.  That behavior undoubtedly worked better on the streets than it does in recovery.  I don’t understand arguing against facts. I understand interpretation and applicability of a given fact, but not arguing the fact itself.  For example, the force of gravity at sea level is 9.8 m/s^2.   In practice, that would be impacted by wind resistance for a falling object or stationary mass and so needs context.


I am grateful to be happy for “no special reason”.  That is infinitely better than playing the “if only I had this” game.

No comments:

Post a Comment