A Little Progress is Better Than Nothing

My online class has two writing assignments.  The first is to write a letter describing my own best self in which I would write a page describing the best life I can realistically imagine for myself in a year or two.  The second assignment is to write a gratitude letter to a person that was really nice to me that I have not yet thanked that I could see in the next week or two.

The letter to my own best self got as far as being 40 lbs lighter, more physically fit from swimming 3x/week, doing 10 hours/week of volunteering and 10 hours of metalsmithing each week. The more details the better.  I did a short version of that.  It turns out that it works best if I follow it up with additional work each day for two weeks.  I plan on doing that.

My gratitude letter will be to Micheal M for reaching out to me two years ago when I was in really early recovery after an 8-month relapse smoking crack cocaine.  I got the letter started but was shutting down emotionally as I thought about it.  I will work on it more tomorrow.

Sure, I wish I got more writing done tonight.  It is good that I got two letters started and am writing this Gratitude blog post.  I was just going to blog a one-liner about being balked.  It is great progress to write more specifically about where I am at and what I will do tomorrow.  It is not as good as the ideal practice, it is a lot better than nothing or the written equivalent of a monosyllabic response.


I am grateful to Jackie James for teaching me how to scuba dive, Mike M for reaching out to me, my online class and for the progress I have made in being able to do a “right-sized” kind gentle self-evaluation and share my feelings with others on a daily basis by talking and blogging.

No comments:

Post a Comment