An Early Thanksgiving Dinner

Danica and Jayse joined us for an early turkey dinner today on the Saturday before Thanksgiving.  Michelle did the cooking. The food was delicious.   It was a pleasant quiet meal due in some part to my feeling poorly from my ongoing UTI and Lea not feeling well.

We will likely go out to a movie on Thanksgiving in the early afternoon.  Reasons we ate early include not having to eat another turkey two days later at our local AA district Gratitude Dinner next Saturday and to avoid being overwhelmed by the “not Norman Rockwell” feeling that can easily happen to—and overwhelm—those us with dysfunctional families.

As addicts in recovery, we have a lot to be grateful for.  Being sober, a delicious peaceful meal with our recovery family, for a nice place to live, and people that love us is a really good place to start.


I am grateful for a pleasant holiday meal at home.  Three other adults is the most I have ever served at my home on Thanksgiving.  I am showing up in a different and better way in my life.

1 comment:

  1. We ordered the feast from QFC picking it up Tuesday we will enjoy it then and have plenty for many meals..Also getting a big bird for only .69 a pound there since we will be spending over $35.00 for the turkey feast. I can freeze most of the feast and the turkey is going to a family who has alcohol issues who are now sober for 2 years with a tiny baby healthy because of no drinking and going batcrapcrazy with alcohol, I have everything for a big feast and many meals after the holiday Thursday..congrats to you upon your sobriety and also the UTI not bothering you and getting thru with that safely and sober..You do quite a service for others to keep calm and sober and happy..No one I have ever ever met had a Norman Rockwell family no one including the most popular guy and girl at my high schools and I went to 3 for a total..My family has drug and alcohol problems I never see them, the holiday to me is everyday when you can help others to keep sober and happy and healthy, the family I got the turkey and dinner fixins are so sweet I consider them a brother and sister, their baby is adorable and they will not drink I think ever ever again, they are productive and happy but work the AA and recovery each day of their lives...I salute you and read your blog daily, KUDOS FOR YOUR SOBRIETY, GET WELL ENJOY THE HOLIDAY SEASON WITHOUT ANY UPSETTS, CIAO!

    ReplyDelete