Varilite Cushion for my Wheelchair


As a daily wheelchair user with no sensation in my lower body, it is vital that I have a cushion that distributes the pressure of my weight as evenly as possible.  A Varilite air-foam cushion works the best for me based on both years of practical experience and a pressure-mapping evaluation at Harborview PT 8 years ago.

A simple pneumatic cushion like a partially filled balloon would have a built-in feedback loop pushing me off to the side I was leaning towards.  That would be adverse seating stability tending to throw me out of my wheelchair every time I leaned over.  A foam cushion does not have the mechanical ability to evenly distribute the pressure. 

The Varilite is a combination of hi-tech foam and pneumatic properties that has the weight distribution of air combined with the seating stability of foam.

I am extremely grateful for the even pressure distribution of my Varilite cushion.  It is literally the difference bedrest for pressure sores vs being out and about in my wheelchair.

No comments:

Post a Comment