Neuroplasticity aka My New Birthday Present.


When I was a kid in school, we were taught that the brain had did not develop new brain cells or connections.  That myth ranks right up there with the flat-earth society for wrong-ness.  Thanks to modern imaging techniques such as MRIs, we have learned more about the brain in the last 20 years than in all previous history combined.

Our brains are a 3 pound mass of tofu-like tissue containing 1.1 trillion cells including 100 billion neurons. The brain uses 20-25% of oxygen and glucose used by our body.  These are a few facts from my new book Buddha's Brain: The Practical Neuroscience of Happiness, Love, and Wisdom by Rick Hanson.

The gist of this book and others of its ilk is how to apply the latest brain/mind research to improve how we think and feel about our lives in a methodical manner. 

I am grateful for science research that helps me make my mind, brain and life better.

No comments:

Post a Comment