A Wide Arc of Gratitude


To the best of my ability (and memory), I read from AA’s Daily Reflections for spiritual inspiration every day.   That is a new behavior that I had not done for a half-dozen years when I last read a meditation book by Jon Kabot-Zinn on a daily basis.

With my recent writer’s block, it has become easy to cast my eyes about for writing inspiration while sitting at my PC.  Having the Daily Reflections and Alanon’s Courage to Change at hand ensures that I will do some spiritual reading every day.  The readings help me continue to improve my sense of commonality with others and my higher power as opposed to “god this” and “god that”.

For example, here is today’s, April 7th, reading the Daily Reflections:

“A WIDE ARC OF GRATITUDE

And, speaking for Dr. Bob and myself, I gratefully declare that had it not been for our wives, Anne and Lois, neither of us could have lived to see A.A.'s beginning.
      THE A.A. WAY OF LIFE, p. 67

Am I capable of such generous tribute and gratitude to my wife, parents and friends, without whose support I might never have survived to reach A.A.'s doors? I will work on this and try to see the plan my Higher Power is showing me which links our lives together.”

Amongst the many things I have learned in recovery is that none of us can do it on our own.   It is a we program of recovery based on a spiritual program of action.  I am grateful to all those people that have helped me get to where I am today starting with my sister Karen.  My parents created me life and were much help along the way both as role models and in creating a need for recovery in my life.

Yesterday, I saw Dougie while driving Lea through the parking lot of the methadone clinic.  Dougie  was one of counselors at Valley rehab in Monroe when I went 14 years ago on May 1st 1999.  I did not get a chance to say “hi”, but it was a warm fuzzy flashback to the wonderful people that first helped me get sober.

In no particular order, I am especially grateful to my closest friends in recovery: Carol; Gigi; Charlie and Margie; Greg; Merri; Sandy; and Leslee.  New friends in recovery such as Lea, Michelle and Joey have helped me get out of myself while being of service to others.

I am grateful for my recovery, higher power, and the many kind loving people that have helped me change my life for the vastly better.

No comments:

Post a Comment