Being Restored to Sanity


AA’s second step is Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.  An unspoken message in this step is that I was insane.  That simple concept works really well for this complicated person.  I don’t have to figure out the hows and whys my life became unmanageable in detailed psychobabble.  “I am insane” greatly simplifies the problem.  Then it becomes a matter of working on the solution.

I have watched and listened to other alcoholics not in the program try to explain the logic of their addiction.  Invariably they get stuck in incomplete circular logic that degenerates into the logical equivalent of  psychobabble gibberish.  These tortured souls spend WAY too much time thinking about the problem and are not focused on a/the solution.

It is a bit like needing to build a road across a river.  Bridges were invented long before plate tectonics and geology were fully developed sciences.  It does not matter how the river got there, the solution s is building a bridge to the other side of the river.

I am grateful for my insanity that greatly simplifies my problem of addiction allowing me to be focused on the solution of building my bridge to recovery.


No comments:

Post a Comment