Joy, Fellowship and a Pancake Breakfast


I go to a prison meeting once a month at the Washington State Reformatory in Monroe.  Mark P goes to the same meeting with Leslee, Lisa and I.  The meeting and fellowship on the drive is my favorite night of the month—I always know I will feel good when I get home.

22 years ago, Mark organized the first Eastside Intergroup pancake breakfast.  It is a popular event with 200 people coming for breakfast, a speaker meeting and fellowship.   Usually they have an AA and an Alanon speaker.  Today will be a little different with an AA speaker and a Q&A panel on recovery.  I am sure it will be great.

I got up early to write my Gratitude blog.  My friend Joy is flying in from Walla Walla this morning.  I will pick her up at SeaTac and then bring her here to play with the cats for an hour before we take Lea to the clinic and then go to the fellowship breakfast.

Seven years ago, I got my first housecat.  Jenny seemed lonely judging by the loud yowling at 4 in the morning.  I got Jenny a kitten.  Joy helped me pick out and name June Bug.  (I got her in June.)  Bug and I bonded very closely.  She will read around in my lap when I am in my wheelchair.  When I am in bed, Bug lays on my hand purring will I rub her belly.

Joy moved to Walla Walla six years ago.   She really likes the small town atmosphere.  It is a good match for her and a nice place to live.  Before she moved, we went to the Empire Way meeting every Wednesday for two years.   Years ago on the night before she would have had 10 years of sobriety, she got in a car wreck caused by a drunk driver suffering a head injury and having her leg amputated below the knee.  She went back out for 18 months.  She now has 10.5 years of sobriety.  She is a remarkable woman with a ton of courage and kindness.


I am grateful for my friends Joy, Mark, Lisa and Leslee; my cats, and the fellowship with others I get from AA.

No comments:

Post a Comment