A Prime Number

Had 1181 posts when I started to write tonight.  Wondered about the factors, e.g.2 & 3 for 6, and checked Google.  1181 is a prime number.

I have much better math skills than most of my friends, mostly it is a bit of a parlor trick to me.  It turns out that social and emotional skills are a lot more helpful in living a happy life..  On the other hand, math literacy is vital, useful and wonderful to be able to quantify things.

I had a hard time with calculus.   More studying would have helped a lot.    I am in awe of the math insight of others such as Euclid (geometry), al-Khwarizmi (algerbra),  Newton and Leibniz (calculus).  Imagine needing to invent the concept of zero as happened several times and places in history—that seems bizarre to me—even a cave man (or a monkey) could tell he had no food.

I am grateful for how the language of science has shaped our modern world.

1 comment:

  1. Seattle PI had an excellent article on how one's childhood shaped one's adulthood..I so agreed with most of the items listed..Had a friend who could figure out the price of everything down to the ounce, her home was chaotic and she and I both spent times at the library either in school, high school or the great public library in downtown Portland..I figured out many things I needed but were never taught by the horrible childhood I had, foster homes, terrible people, abuse..It almost sticks with a person unless they want to have a better life..I still don't trust many people at all, they have to show me what they are really like, most of my friends had almost the same mistreatment but are happy and healthy adults with loving husbands of wives and wonderfully grown up children who were never subjected to the crap we were..The junvenile justice system in most states do not care about the kids one iota, Washington is a little better..But I just don't get people having kids and not loving and helping them, disciplining them and caring for them we have a huge juvenile justice center the boys and girls who are housed there the parents have totally abandoned them..Why did they ever bear them, they did not love and care about them, many with drug and alcohol problems which in my opinion can be carried genetically to their offspring.. Dogs and Cats take better care, so we volunteer both my hubs and myself and listen and give a crap, the difference in their behavior is like night and day..I pray that Karma kicks the parents asses I truly do..How can you treat your own child like crap..I know I got a lot of crap because my mother died, not a criminal not an alcoholic and drug addict she died of cancer plain and simple..My father went to pieces took to drink and we were left motherless and fatherless thru no fautt of our own. I vowed to never treat anyone like crap after I graduated from high school got on a greyhound bus to my blood grandmother rode 23 hours to get to her there she was in a bus station waiting and waiting, she was about 89 then, she only lived a few years I was almost thru college she passed a week before graduation, but she lives in my heart..Your blog is wonderful in that it gives great hope to the hopelessly addicted alcoholic and drug dependent human being for that I say hip hip hoorah!

    ReplyDelete