One Last Hot Day

It was 89° today.  According to my weather website of choice, wunderground.com/, there are two days in the next ten days that will be above 80°.  The hottest summer on record in Seattle is cooling off.  Statistically, the average temperature cools off 2/10ths of a degree per day from July to January, then warms up again.

On a thermal tangent: Speaking of heat, J. Williard Gibbs comes to mind.  Without the concept of Gibbs free energy thermodynamics would be nothing.   JWG is widely regarded as America’s greatest native born scientist.   He graduated from Yale with the first American doctorate in engineering.

Both last summer and this summer, I bought portable AC units somewhat shaped liked oversized carry-on luggage.  Both of them began to die well before their time.  The good news is that I got my money back last summer and just need to ship this one back in the next week to get a refund on it.  I appreciate the refund but would vastly prefer a quality product that did not die after a month of use.   The fan noise quality was disappointing.   I bought the ones with the best reviews.  Next year, I will strive to get a better model.    The good news is that my summer was fantastically more pleasant with AC in my bedroom.   My plasma TV is generates way too much heat to watch without AC.


I am grateful for a warm dry summer and look forward to a cooler season to come that is projected to be warmer and dryer than average.

No comments:

Post a Comment