Labor Day

Today is Labor Day.  I owe a huge debt of gratitude to those who fought for the rights of workers in the prior to shortly after the turn of the 20th century resulting in Washington State’s Workmen’s Compensation Act of 1911.  After getting paralyzed on the job in 1981, I have been on workmen’s comp for the last 34 years.  It is the difference between living in a place of my choice or being trapped in subsidized housing with poor medical care.  A huge quality of life difference.

Until now, I did not even know when WC started in the world, USA, or in Washington State.    Here is a nice article on how it came about in Washington.

I am grateful for my Workmen’s Compensation insurance.  My life would not be the same without it.


Happy Labor Day!

1 comment:

  1. You are one of the few who get it in Washington state, it is tougher than nails to get it now..It was fairly generous not so much anymore. 1981 was the last year I worked in a great job, since then it had been crap then I found a company that gave a crap, but hubs retired so only working part time..So many jobs in Washington have no retirement, work hours, respect for their employees low wages and work that is mind crap! You must have had a job that paid fairly well and was in some kind of decent occupation now in order to get workmans' comp. you practically have to be near death if at all getting it, you certainly should be thankful, living in Bellevue and all..

    ReplyDelete