A Friend of a Friend With a Resentment

A common 12-step cliché is that ‘having a resentment is like taking poison and expecting someone else to die’.  My friend of a friend (fof) is living (via casual rental) with a man that started smoking heroin again as of last week.   It is not going well.  The fof is determined to fight it out and emerge triumphant over the man and his addiction.  Pure crazy making insanity.  It is not going well and will only get worse as the battle wears on.

They are not asking for advice.   They did ask for a ride after the bus they were on stopped at an intersection proceeding no further after the light refused to allow for a left-turn for half an hour.  I won’t drive around Bellevue in rush hour traffic if I can avoid it.   For them, I got on the road at 4:50.   Two hours later, I completed what is usually a 30 minute drive.


I am grateful for my housing security.  The place I live is not perfect and I will have to take action to rehab the interior with new flooring and paint.  That is small potatoes compared with living with an addict in active addiction after having pre-payed the rent.

No comments:

Post a Comment