More Resilience

Since I was my early teens, I know that I was either programmed to fail or had a fear of success.  That question was resolved in my 40s due to AA explaining that nearly of our self-destructive thoughts, feelings and actions were triggered by fear.  Most simply, it was either not getting what we wanted or losing something we already had. 

The old tapes in my head convinced me that “things never work out for me”.  Naturally with that fundamental belief things never did work out for me.  I always self-destructed and/or would not try my best to do well and finish what I was working on.  I never did my best and never got my best results.

I have great awareness of this shortcoming and many tools for how to overcome my fears.  A great cliché for this is procrastination is paralyzed by fear in five syllables.  I have been balking on doing simple projects with the consequent result of a great rise in negative self-talk with thoughts of using and suicide.   I know the solution for this is to simply do the projects around my apartment such as organize my smithing toys/tools, put a new motherboard in my HTPC and get it working, and get some exercise.  Knowing the solution is not the same as being in the solution.

One of the most annoying components of my addiction is that I know what do.  I get stuck in that chasm between wisdom and virtue.  Wisdom is knowing the right thing to do.  Virtue is doing the right thing.  It is stupid and sucks to keep doing the same thing expecting different results.  I was able to take some action today in putting a few things away and moving my PC to the workbench.  Spiritual progress not spiritual perfection.

I am grateful for the wisdom and smattering of virtue I do possess and for the resilience to keep on trying to get it right.


No comments:

Post a Comment