Listening Deeply

How persistently we claim the right to decide all by ourselves just what we shall think and just how we shall act. 12x12, p. 37

If I accept and act upon the advice of those who have made the program work for themselves, I have a chance to outgrow the limits of the past. Some problems will shrink to nothingness, while others may require patient, well-thought-out action. Listening deeply when others share can develop intuition in handling problems which arise unexpectedly. It is usually best for me to avoid impetuous action. Attending a meeting or calling a fellow A.A. member will usually reduce tension enough to bring relief to a desperate sufferer like me. Sharing problems at meetings with other alcoholics to whom I relate, or privately with my sponsor, can change aspects of the positions in which I find myself. Character defects are identified and I begin to see how they work against me. When I put my faith in the spiritual power of the program, when I trust others to teach me what I need to do to have a better life, I find that I can trust myself to do what is necessary. Daily Reflections

Most of my life, I was terminally unique and listened for the differences.  No wonder I was a alcoholic loner with a small social network.  Today I listen for the commonality and strive to learn from the experience of others.

I am grateful that I am not nearly as terminally unique as I used to be and for the commonality that I can now hear when listening to others.  I am also grateful to have five months sober today.




No comments:

Post a Comment