Breakfast At Alki And A Car Ouchy

Picked up Danica in White Center and went to Alki for a late breakfast on Seafair Sunday.  It was a beautiful day with a 2x2 mostly kids volleyball tournament in the sand.  We stopped at Home Depot in West Seattle on the way back to get a fan for Danica.  She lives upstairs in her new place and it gets hot.  They were sold out of fans.   We found a nice 16” oscillating fan that was a likely return that had not been put back on the shelf.

Once back in the car, I tried to drive forward out of the parking lot and drove over a concrete curb stop.  I was going to keep going forward.  Alas, there was two curb stops and so I backed up.  The transmission linkage was disconnected when I went to put the car in Drive and we were stuck in neutral.  The parking lot ran downhill away from the store so I let the car roll backwards into a parking spot.  The problem was not readily fixed by me or Lea so I called my mobile mechanic friend Dave.  He drove right over from Bellevue, but had to take the long way around due to the i90 bridge being closed for the Blue Angels show.

It turned out that I had bent the exhaust and my expensive new catalytic converter into the tranny linkage assembly.  Dave was able to wire it up with baling wire so I could drive home.  We dropped the fan off with Danica and went home 90 minutes later than planned.

I was slightly hot in the parking lot while waiting for Dave.  Lea cooks when it gets over 65°.  I could not start the car due to not being able to put the car in Park.  She was miserable in the heat.  We did cover the windshield with a blanket.  That helped.

It was good to see Danica and Jayse.   They are both doing really well and like their new place.   Danica is a naturally happy person and a joy to be around.  She asked Lea to be Jayse’s godmother.  It was really sweet.  I was happy for both of them.  Lea has made fantastic progress from incomprehensible demoralization to being asked to be potentially responsible for the most important thing in Danica’s life—her new baby Jayse.

I am grateful for a near perfect morning in the sunshine on Alki, for our rescue by my friend Dave and car problems where nobody got hurt and it can fixed in a day or two at Ali’s shop in Bellevue.  AC at home is also really nice!






2 comments:

  1. We live in a 1978 ranch home small with ceiling heat and a fireplace we have never used, we have fans thru the house so we don't cook, here in Vancouver Washington it has broken all heat records since we got into our homr on sept 18th 1978...Plus we have a west exposure kitchen it is the largest room in our home, we don't complain at all, it usually never gets this hot, plus the winter will be brutal, we are getting new windows a French patio door and insulation in one week, we saved up 36 years nearly for it and thanks to God will get it, should cut down on the electric we pay..One can't comphrehend the weather at all, just live with it, I am so THANKFUL TO HAVE A HOME, A HUBS OF 40 YEARS, FOOD, HYDRATION THAT I DON[T MIND A ONCE IN 36 YEAR LINGERING HEAT WAVE AT ALL...WE COULD NOT LIVE WHERE YOU LIVE SINCE RENTS ARE EXORBITANT AND MANY TOIL AND LABOR AND NEVER EVER EVER BUY A HOME..WE ARE GRATEFUL DAILY AND MINUTE TO MINUTE..ciao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant to say howdee and love your blog, you give such good comments on life and help those in recovery and those that need recovery you are beacon of life itself..I read your blog daily and I am grateful you have the blog and sorry about your vehicle but you sound wonderful and don't complain you live a most lovely lovely area, which is priced out of most people's budgets in that they can never buy a home and I am sure the rents are exorbitant, unfortunately clark county has become that way,the poor who labor long and hard are having a tough time renting tooo, it is not possible to even buy a home either they state in our newspaper that the average wages was $58,600 who gets that in clark county not many at all most have to commute to Portland & pay 8 to 9 % of their income to state income tax to boot..You live in a most lovely of all king county and you rarely say anything unkind, KUDOS to you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete