I am responsible

AA’s Responsibility Statement is “I am Responsible.  When anyone, anywhere, reaches out for help, I want the hand of A.A. always to be there.  And for that:  I am responsible.”

It was written for the 1965 A.A. International Convention in Toronto. In an article titled, ‘How I am Responsible became a part of A.A.’, from the GSO newsletter, Box 4-5-9. The article identifies former AA trustee, Al S. as the author of the Responsibility Statement.
In the souvenir book for the 1965 Convention, Dr. Jack Norris writes:   

“…We must remember that AA will continue strong only so long as each of us freely and happily gives it away to another person, only as each of us takes our fair share of responsibility for sponsorship of those who still suffer, for the growth and integrity of our Group, for our Intergroup activities, and for AA as a whole. It is in taking responsibility that real freedom and the enduring satisfactions of life are found. AA has given us the power to choose – to drink or not to drink – and in doing so has given us the freedom to be responsible for ourselves. As we become responsible for ourselves, we are free to be responsible for our share in AA, and unless we happily accept this responsibility we lose AA. Strange, isn’t it?”

I got a call from Michelle yesterday.  She has spent another homeless summer in the South Seattle jungle.  We agreed to meet for dinner tonight.  I brought her over clean pants, socks and a shirt that she had left her. 

Lea was going to go with me but after a huge ridiculous hissy fit over what a hassle it is to help another alcoholic she got out of the car on the road in front of the apartment complex.  One of the most shortsighted selfish behaviors I have seen in awhile.  It was not pretty.

Michelle really wants to be sober, but is unable to let go of her fears and many addict behaviors.  Lea wants to be happy and functional, but was unwilling to even take a ten-minute drive to Seattle to help the woman that she has spent more time with sober since her mom died when she was 12 years old.


I am grateful to have a place to live, clean clothes, be able to get out of myself by helping a friend in active addiction and that I was able to unselfishly help another alcoholic.  I am also grateful to live 10 blocks south of the Alano Club and readily get to a meeting anytime between 6 AM and 11 PM every day of the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment