Angey Went to a Meeting

I Angey met during my relapse last summer.  She now has 9 months clean having moved from Everett to Olympia.  She has been working 40+ hours/week at a call center doing debt collection.  Her past still haunts her as she is facing felony robbery charges for having given the wrong person a ride to the wrong place.

She has stayed clean all on her own with no sort of recovery program.   That is will power of epic proportions.  I could not stay clean working a program.  It is inconceivable to me to simply be able to make a decision to not use and stay clean for 9 months. 

For the vast majority of committed AA members, the program is both a model for living life sober and a fellowship of people in recovery.  I suggested Angey attend AA for the fellowship instead of staying home in social isolation.  She went to her first meeting yesterday getting a Big Book, a 12x12, the phone numbers of 10 women, talking with one of the women for some time after the meeting and calling another woman later on.  It was a great first meeting for her.

She was feeling much better when I talked with her last night.  As a bonus assignment, she read step 1 from the 12x12.  It is Bill W at his most over-the-top best with lines such as: rapacious creditor; with all the fervor with which the drowning seize life preservers; the fatal nature of our situation; and as willing to listen as the dying can be.  For alcoholics in the right frame of mind, this is both insightful and a humorous read into the insanity of our condition.

Today she texted me back “Life is already better I am so glad that we kept in touch I love you thanks for all you do”.  It is a good feeling to be able to be of service to others that are ready to do the work to make their lives better.

I am grateful to be of service of others.


No comments:

Post a Comment