enjoying new friends

Went to a recovery information event this afternoon. There were a dozen rehab centers with tables, a couple of vendors of books & trinkets, and a table for our 12-step organization. I staffed the table for a couple of hours, bought a book about being an alcoholic mother from the author, a magnet and a bumper sticker from another lady that both read "Life Sucks Less Sober". Since I don't do bumper stickers, I gave it away to the first pretty girl to walk by our table. She was pleased.

The purchases were random acts of kindness in supporting others trying their hand at a new business. They both appreciated the purchases and we chatted for a few minutes about gratitude and other topics. It was nice.

Talking with a guy from a men's shelter, the Union Gospel Mission, there is a good chance that we would be able to get a meeting started there. That would be great.

There was a comedian towards the end of the day. Most people had left leaving him with a score or two of people spread out over a large room. Tough crowd, but he tried.

There was a band Vance and Freedom that played for an hour. They were pretty good. For a song or two, I got to danced with six women in a fairy circle around me—that was way cool! By the end of their set, everybody had left. They had volunteered their time to support the recovery event. I gave a donation to help cover gas money.

In the past, I would have wanted to make token purchases or tip the band, but I would have not have money for that having already spent it all on drugs or paying off debts when in recovery. It felt good to support others in their recovery and creativity. I will do that again.

My new PC needs to be put together. I am taking my time in reading the manual beforehand and watching a few YouTube DIY training videos on putting a CPU in a motherboard—I have never done that before. Looks easy when done correctly on a YouTube video. I hope and pray my attempt at assembly goes nearly so well.

I am grateful for a nice afternoon spent with other optimistic happy people.

No comments:

Post a Comment