is it Schadenfreude when… ?


As a newcomer to the role of empathetic person/listener, I sometimes ponder the difference between a shared sorrow being half a sorrow (Swedish proverb) and the German concept of Schadenfreude which is enjoying others misery.  As I progress in my recovery, others share their pain with me in ways I never heard before.

Talking with a beloved friend at lunch today, we had a nice time.  As I was dropping her off at work after lunch, she shared a few things that were causing her pain and/or fear.  I felt honored that our relationship was such that she trusted me with her intimate emotional pain, let her know that I loved her and reassured her that she is doing the best she can which is actually pretty good.  I felt pride, love and empathy for my friend after our visit was over.

This evening I talked with a few other friends by phone that are not doing nearly so well and are not in the solution phase of problem solving.  They have mastered the problem identification phase of problem solving.  Practically all they do is wallow in, think about and count their problems based on what they tell me in our conversations.  After those conversations, I was grateful that it was not me with their problems and unwillingness to implement obvious well known solutions such as when your doctor tells you to check into the ER, you go to the hospital and check into the ER.

Through some sort of moral wisdom, I am learning to check my motives when talking with friends about our troubles in a way that allows me to have compassion and empathy, while maintaining a healthy level of loving detachment.

What does this all have to do with Schadenfreude?  I don’t exactly know but am grateful I get to use whatever words I want in the title of my gratitude blogs!  J

I am grateful that I can listen to others share their sorrow with me today without having to take on their pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment