hanging with Carol


Carol took me to dinner at Café Durango tonight.  The food was cheap and delicious.  The service was incredibly poor for having two waiters and people eating at 3 tables.  The middle-aged guy was into the baseball game and the teenage girl did not seem to know how to: a) provide good customer service; b) know how to work the credit card machine & cash register.  They were pleasant enough, just not very timely or thoughtful of what we might want such as refilling my empty pop glass one of the 7 times she walked by it or giving us the check while we sat there patiently waiting for 15 minutes after dinner.  Yelp reviews warned of slow service, so we were not surprised.  We were not in a hurry so it was not a big thing, just appalling poor service.  How much training do you need to know when to refill an empty glass of pop?

We watched a couple of innings of what turned out to be one of the greatest thrillers in World Series history.  When we left, the Cardinals were down by 2 runs in the bottom of the 8th inning.  The game went to 11 innings with the Cardinals finally pulling it out.  Now there will be a game 7 which is great for both fans and MLB—almost everybody likes cliffhanger drama in their sports results.

After dinner we went to Fry’s.  I bought computer parts that I had wanted all month.  Carol went shopping at the Target across the street while I was in Fry’s.  Our timing was nearly perfect.  I came out to the car with my purchases and saw her walking towards back to the car.  By the time I got my chair in the car, she was 20 feet away.

When I went to Canada last week, I had some loonies (Canadian money) left when I got to the duty-free store.  They only real buy there was liquor.  Carol is the only friend I have that drinks.  I bought her 2 liters of Vodka which I gave to her tonight as an early birthday present.  Her birthday is not until December 17th.

I am grateful for good food, great baseball games, good friends, great stores such as Fry’s and a pleasant evening with a friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment