willingness


A friend goes to meetings but refuses to do the rest of the 12-step program of getting a sponsor, doing the steps, and working with others.  Last night, she explained to me was that she has been clean for almost 2.5 years and that there would be no benefit to her working the program.

I gently tried to explain to her about condemnation prior to investigation being a documented well-known alcoholic behavior.  She was sure she did not have that problem.  I wished her well and we parted ways after an inexpensive Mexican meal.  This disease never ceases to amaze me with its cunning baffling power. 

I have no idea how some find willingness and others remain unwilling to work on a problem that has clearly had a negative impact on their lives, family members, friends and others.  It is clearly not a matter of being smarter or dumber.  There are both smart & dumb people on both sides of the willingness divide.

I am grateful that I have the god-given willingness to work a functional 12-step program to the reasonable best of my ability.  

No comments:

Post a Comment