technical skills and friends


Today’s technical challenge was fixing Dan’s Dell XP DVD drive.  Dan got the PC after his father passed away and so it has great sentimental value to him. 

The standard technique of removing and reinstalling the DVD player via Device Manager did not work.  Deleting the driver files didn’t work.  Trying to install a new driver from Dell and/or elsewhere on the web did not work because all sites I tried wanted to install a crapware download manager that did not fix the problem.  Lacking an XP disk, I couldn’t extract the file from the installation disk.  System Restore couldn’t fix the problem since the two available restore points would not reinstall.

I was ready to give up and go have lunch with Dan, which was why I came over in the first place, when Dan said he had some Dell CD disks that might help.  I give it another go.  BIOS/boot tools proved the DVD to be working and that it was a driver problem.  Using an old Google search trick (site:Microsoft.com), I searched only the Microsoft.com web site and was able to find, download and install the needed driver. 

The unhappy lesson is how hard it is to support XP using Google.  In the past when I needed a driver for XP, I could Google multiple driver download locations and install the needed device driver from a myriad of locations.  Today all I got was crapware—even from Dell.   I successfully solved a 5-minute problem in under an hour.

What I did notice while working on the problem was that maintaining optimism throughout the process helped me to keep working on it.  Worst case was either reinstalling Windows XP from a disk I was no longer using or getting a new DVD drive, either method would solve the problem the next time I came over.

We had a nice lunch. I drove Dan home and waited around Seattle for an hour to meet Jennifer after work.  She had agreed to take my gratitude booklets to the Area Assembly in Ocean Shores.  We met at Uwajimaya, bought enough food to get free validated parking and chatted for awhile.

I am grateful for my technical skills, my friends and cool grocery stores like Uwajimaya.

No comments:

Post a Comment