Nature or Nurture?

Michelle and I went to a step study discussion meeting tonight on the 4th step after I went swimming.  The meeting was nearing the end by the time I got there.  The discussion was on whether individuals had gotten their alcoholism from ethnic heritage or via their childhood experiences.  I was puzzled by the discussion.  I asked, “Nature or nurture, what does it matter?”  The solution is still the same 12 steps.  Nobody even tried to explain why the source/cause of the disease mattered.  Not everybody understood my question.

I am grateful that I am much more focused on the solution these days than stuck in trying to identify the possibly meaningless source of the problem.  Also, it was a good swim with 15 minutes of a crawl stroke followed by counting 000 strokes of my greatly modified breast and back strokes as both a workout and exercise in counting meditation.


No comments:

Post a Comment