A Birthday Celebration…and More

Today was my sister Karen’s birthday.  I had flowers delivered via an Australia version of FTD Florists.  She is on the far side of the international date line and so in effect her birthday was yesterday. 

I celebrated Karen’s birthday with Lea and Michelle by having an early Thanksgiving dinner. We had succulent roast turkey, garlic mashed potatoes, broccoli, homemade gravy, potato salad and jellied cranberry sauce.  I made the turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy.  They all came out great.

For the last 6+ years, I have gone with Carol and a few of her friends to her church’s Thanksgiving meal.  Last year they ran low on food by the time we got there.  Michelle and I tried to buy a turkey the day after Thanksgiving at Safeway.  They did not have a turkey in the store.  This year we beat the rush by having a Thanksgiving meal two weeks in advance.

We have a lot to celebrate.  A year ago, I was still using.  Lea and Michelle were tearing it up.  Now I have almost 8 months, and they have 33 and 28 days respectively.  They both registered for college this week.  Lea is getting her new dentures next Wednesday.  I had promised to help her get dentures 15 months ago in August.  It feels great to make and see a promise come true.  That is a new experience for me.

We had a great week in a things-are-going-well sort of way.  Nobody won the lottery, we made some progress and had a few boo-boos.  While meeting with Charlie and Mike at the mall this morning, I brought up how in the past a feeling of success would be so disconcerting that I would need to do some self-destructive equivalent of putting my hand on a hot stove just to change the way I feel—not for the better, just to quickly change the way I felt.  A feeling of contentment and success used to be strange, uncomfortable and scary for me.  Today I noticed that sensation and acted on it by not going swimming.  That is a lot less self-destructive than how it used to be.  Fantastic progress, definitely not perfection.

I secretary a beginner’s meeting at the Alano Club on Friday mornings.  Normally I read the Daily Reflections aloud, share my thoughts and open the meeting.  Today I read the Reflection, read two paragraphs from The Language of the Heart on the 11th step written by Bill W and then opened the meeting.  At the end of the meeting, I was compelled to share a summary of our last year and where we are now.

When I was a young man, I had a dog that I would leave outside & alone for 5 days at a time while I worked logging at Mt St Helen's.   He was a giant Irish Wolfhound and plenty capable of fending for himself with a large bucket of dog food to last him all week.  Being responsible for helping others is a completely new experience for me. I have never been married, had children or even ever spent time around children.  I could barely take care of myself.

Today I get to help others make infinitely healthier choices in their lives.  Now a bad decision is to skip a swim session after having swam five times already this week.

I am grateful for the miracles of progress in my life including my sobriety, Lea and Michelle’s sobriety, good friends, being able to pay my bills, a good albeit geographically  distant relationship  with my sister, and being able to celebrate Thanksgiving two weeks early during November which is gratitude month in AA.  Happy Birthday Karen!


No comments:

Post a Comment