Economic Security

I get a state run workmen’s compensation pension from being paralyzed at work 32 years ago.  It is not enough to make me rich or even an average wage for white men my age & education in America.  It is good enough to live on with a decent safe apartment in Bellevue while helping others that are far less fortunate. 

While I am sure I could spend a good size fortune if I had one, what I have is good enough for my needs with a modest amount of budget control.  There are 50 million people living in poverty in America.  I am grateful to not be one of them.

Jerry Pournelle has been a NASA scientist, sci-fi writer, and PC technology journalist.  He wrote one of my favorite quotes from 20+ years ago:  “The poor are what the rich use to scare the middle class into working”.    


I am grateful to be living securely above the poverty line and not be overwhelmed by fear of economic insecurity.

No comments:

Post a Comment