From Powerless to Right Action

We admitted we were powerless over alcohol — that our lives had become unmanageable. 12x12 p. 21

It is no coincidence that the very first Step mentions powerlessness: An admission of personal powerlessness over alcohol is a cornerstone of the foundation of recovery. I've learned that I do not have the power and control I once thought I had. I am powerless over what people think about me. I am powerless over having just missed the bus. I am powerless over how other people work (or don't work) the Steps. But I've also learned I am not powerless over some things. I am not powerless over my attitudes. I am not powerless over negativity. I am not powerless over assuming responsibility for my own recovery. I have the power to exert a positive influence on myself, my loved ones, and the world in which I live.

Last year was the best year in my life for learning how to change my attitude from being full of self-pity and helpless to assuming responsibility for how I feel.  With that responsibility, I got the power to change how I feel.  This change does not happen immediately.  There is an inertia to how I feel.  By taking right action, I can apply a force of positive energy towards how I feel.  It is usually more work and slower than I want, but I can now change how I feel in a reasonably timely fashion from a foul mood to having a nice day.


I am grateful for the skills and responsibility I have gained over my feelings and thoughts in the last year by becoming aware of how I feel, accepting how I feel and taking right action.

No comments:

Post a Comment