Computer Chess

I used to love playing chess with friends in college.  I have not played another person for years.  My game has gone downhill with age and lack of practice.  I do have a 10 year old chess program that I play at the beginner level.  It is my only computer game.  Now it is another outlet for killing time for at most 30 minutes a day besides tv, web surfing and reading.

My best claim to chess fame is that I have beaten the president of the chess club in junior high, high school and college.  That is a nice memory.  Tournament play would have been too stressful for me and my game was not that good.

It is slightly tempting to get some state-of-the-art video games, but for a person with addiction issues, that appears to be a very bad idea.  I have heard too many horror stories of people getting way too involved in their video games.  It is easy to imagine myself getting stuck in the false belief that interacting with other video games is close enough to have real relationships with friends.  I am not going to see if that works or not.


I am grateful for my chess playing skills and for my little chess game.

No comments:

Post a Comment