Healing Heart and Mind

Admitted to God, to ourselves, and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.  12x12, p. 55  [Step 5]

Since it is true that God comes to me through people, I can see that by keeping people at a distance I also keep God at a distance. God is nearer to me than I think and I can experience Him by loving people and allowing people to love me. But I can neither love nor be loved if I allow my secrets to get in the way.

It's the side of myself that I refuse to look at that rules me. I must be willing to look at the dark side in order to heal my mind and heart because that is the road to freedom. I must walk into darkness to find the light and walk into fear to find peace.

By revealing my secrets – and thereby ridding myself of guilt – I can actually change my thinking; by altering my thinking, I can change myself. My thoughts create my future. What I will be tomorrow is determined by what I think today.

One of the zillions of cliches in recovery is that “I am only as sick as my secrets”.  Working step 5 gave me specific practice in how to share my pain and secrets with others.  Today my left leg was more swollen than usual from the DVT blood clot I got shortly after being paralyzed 33 years ago.  Fears of hospitals, strokes, dying, amputation and so on ran rampant through my mind today.  I pointed it out to Lea, discussed it at the meeting, went swimming and decided that my appointment with my GP tomorrow would be soon enough to review the issue with a medical professional.   By then I was able to let go of my secrets and have a program of action.   That was good enough for today.

I am grateful to be able to share my secrets with others today.  In the past I had carried these secrets like a bag of sharp rocks that weighed me down and hurt.  Now it is just something that I have to deal with tomorrow.





No comments:

Post a Comment