Help Others

Showing others who suffer how we were given help is the very thing which makes life seem so worthwhile to us now.  Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have-- the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them.   Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 124

I went to Meydenbauer Park for an hour before the meeting tonight.  After a few minutes of enjoying the sunshine and scenery, I started talking with a guy about regional coastal park experiences. 

We somehow got to discussing our experiences with others using and then to admitting our own stories.  He uses antibuse and methadone to stay sober.  I talked about my addiction and how AA was helping me.  When it was time to go, I offered him a ride to NE 8th to catch a bus to the shelter he is staying at.   The meeting was only a half-block away and so he asked to come along with me.  He came to the meeting, got a cookie and a cup of coffee before he had to go catch his bus.

Hopefully he will attend the mid-morning meetings at the Alano Club.  He seemed interested and was certainly a candidate for membership.   It was good to be able to help someone to their first meeting in forever.

I am grateful that going to meetings is a vital part of my daily routine.  It sure beats living all the alternatives I could come up with my own best thinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment