Peace and Serenity

Growing up, my parents single-mindedly promoted what you did for work was who you were.    By the time I was a teenager my mother was martyr saying “she could never be happy” and “there is no god”.  My father had a career as a pilot that he loved along having a semi-working farm.  They did not talk about the importance of relationships with others.

No matter what, there was never enough.  I pinned an opponent in the 3rd round in a high school wrestling match, dad told me I should have done it faster.  He got $300,000 from King County to not develop the farm into 10-acre lots and got his picture on the front page of the local paper complaining it was not enough money—$300,000 (in the 1980’s)for doing exactly nothing!

Not enough is a huge problem in our society.  A friend works at the ICU of a new Swedish hospital in Issaquah.  Last week of the 15 beds in the ICU, 12 people were in there for having almost successful suicide attempts that left them in critical condition.  That is affluenza at its worst.

Naturally I have a strong compulsion as an addict to always want more…of everything.  That is the nature of the disease.  Today I have a lot of peace and serenity in my life by being okay with what I do have and not obsessing on wanting more.  There are a lot of things I “should be” such as thinner, fitter, more engaged with others, working, volunteering, etc.  If I get stuck focusing on that, I will never be happy.

I am grateful for my peace and serenity today.  Life is far from perfect.  It is certainly good enough to okay and happy with who I am and what I have today.


1 comment:

  1. Our only knows the word plenty and enough and seems most happy with both of those situations..As a tiny tot we gave her little things instead of huge presents, she knew that was plenty and enough..these for her birthdays and holidays jewish and Christian, she never asked for more..She makes a good living and spoils her daddy and me, but we always tell her to save her money which she does and we have her and love her and that is always plenty and enough..I just don't think most people tell their kids and family that plenty and enough is enough at all, we do..our lives are filled with love, the earth, it's citizens and more love, we have food, hydration a place to call a home and each other which is far more important than anything..I enjoy your blog you touch upon what is important in life, your sobriety being uppermost which is plenty & enough and one day at a time..god's blessings, ciao!

    ReplyDelete