Getting Support From Others

I was paralyzed in 1981 in a motor vehicle accident while working as a logger at Mt St Helens.   While still in the hospital, I was taken to a wheelchair basketball game and went swimming.  Moving to Hawaii a year later, I hung out with other guys in wheelchairs playing tennis, basketball and doing the Maui marathon on my 24th birthday.  Santa Barbara was another 5 years of basketball and tennis with other young smart guys in wheelchairs.  That was a lot of help in learning from the collective wisdom of others.   I practiced wheelchair basketball for a couple more years in Bellevue.

That was great help for dealing with spinal cord injury issues and life in a chair.  It still was not enough to overcome my isolating addictive personality issues.

As a member of the AA fellowship of recovery, I am learning how to get and give positive loving emotional support with others.  It has taken me years to breakdown my sense of terminal uniqueness and overcome my fear of people to allow them into my life.  Better late than never.


I am grateful for the support that I get from others in trying and learning how to live a life with physical and emotional sobriety.  I still have a long ways to go, but am doing better than ever before and am optimistic that I will continue to make good progress in creating a fulfilling life for myself while helping others.

No comments:

Post a Comment